To Our Precious, Little Baby Girl...

The hope for this blog is that we get to share with our daughter-to-be, family, and friends what is going on in our lives as we start getting prepared for her BIG DAY and arrival outside of the belly! It'll be a no-holds-barred attempt at our new experiences, challenges, and day-to-day life while our little "bun in the oven" continues to bake. At some point, we hope this will be a loving story for you, little girl, to look back on and hopefully will also be entertaining and educational to read! We love you, little monkey, and are so blessed to have you growing stronger and stronger every day! Love, Mom and Dad

Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Life Is Full Of Beauty. Notice It. Notice The Bumble Bee, The Small Child, And The Smiling Faces. Smell The Rain, And Feel The Wind."

~Ashley Smith

Let's start with the not-so-bad but most definitely "interesting" and then end with the good, shall we?

Woke up to find that our air conditioner was still on...YAY...I almost forgot what that nice, rested feeling is like in the morning. However, when I went out to the main part of the house to open the windows (part of my morning routine) I was disturbed to find that both of our patio doors had been unlocked all night. Not a good feeling! Now that everyone in the house is made aware of it, hopefully this will be the ONLY morning I wake up with that feeling!

I had also hoped to hook up with my British/American friend Amy via internet this morning, but was sad when I was unable to "ring" her on the "mobile" (I guess that's what they say across the pond). Perhaps I will have better luck with it tomorrow...

WARNING: Pregnant "Wardrobe Malfunction" #1
Avert your eyes and skip to the next paragraph if you tend to think I over-share...This morning, while getting dressed, I was putting on my undergarments and went to put my shirt on. In the process of pulling on my shirt, I hear a loud tear and run to the mirror, only to find that...in my current theory...my increasingly busty, pregnant self effectively ripped my bra strap completely off of a 4.5 month old Victoria's Secret bra. :( I was so disappointed because it is what I referred to as my "sassy" bra...it was nude on the outside but leopard print on the inside and now it was totally, completely ruined. BUMMER! I said a naughty word and dug out my #2 favorite bra as a replacement. And here I thought I would be so happy to have bigger boobs. Who knew they would be so much trouble!

I had errands I wanted to run this morning, so I started out at 10am (after doing dishes and getting the laundry started) by dropping off our monthly HOA dues at the club house. That was a nice morning walk and I considered going swimming, but then re-thought that idea, realizing how much I dislike being in public settings alone. I wish I had my hubby or a girlfriend to spend the day at the pool with...why is it that they're not available...oh yeah, they are working. Perhaps this weekend...

Moving on. From the clubhouse walk, I then jumped in the car to hit the outlet mall in Folsom. First off, I must mention that Californian's concept of "outlet" must be RADICALLY different from that of it's Midwestern counterpart! The prices at the outlet were still ridiculously more expensive at their discounted rate than anything I would ever spend regularly-priced at a normal store. So after walking in -and RIGHT BACK OUT OF- Baby Gap, Carters, Gymboree, Motherhood Maternity, etc. I quickly realized I was severely out of place. I then jumped in my car and headed to JCPenney, a place where I feel much more comfortable.

ATTENTION: Pregnant "Wardrobe Malfunction" #2 (And .. YES... to those of you wondering, "TWO wardrobe malfunctions? HOW is that possible? One word: LINDSAY!)
While trying on some maternity clothes at Penneys, I was leaning over to pick up some clothes I had dropped on the floor just outside of the fitting room and upon bending over, SNAP and PING! My second bra of the day's strap snapped and caught me RIGHT IN THE CORNER OF MY EYE. Of course, my initial reaction was to say a naughty word, to which I will not repeat. My second, and almost immediate, reaction was to look around and evaluate how many other people were privy to my embarrassing moment. Luckily, I was alone in the area but I'm sure I'll appear on some hidden camera show in a few months...The rest of the afternoon I was forced to walk around with a single strap on my bra. Am I just pressing my luck where breasts are concerned today, or what?!?

Needless to say, I left JCP and had intended on heading home when, in the parking lot, out of the corner of my eye, I spied Old Navy and a children's consignment store across the street. So, with my one-shouldered support, I drove to the other side of the street and went into Old Navy where I found neither cute baby clothes nor attractive maternity wear. At this point I walked down to the opposite end of the strip mall where the consignment store was. I must admit I was pretty defeated at this point. I had not been successful in the "bra/breast" department, in the maternity wear hunt, or in the baby clothes search so far, no matter how hard I had tried today.

Let me just say that I spent over an hour at Once Upon A Child because there were just so many good finds!  My day had been redeemed! Had I not seen it by chance in passing, I would have never known what I was missing! All I have to say is there are some adorable kid's clothes and gear here and so much more affordable! It was like I had stopped and smelled the roses for all of the cliches about noticing what's around you where this store was concerned! It was hard to restrict myself, but ultimately my budget won out and that was how I narrowed my purchases down today.

Here's some of my finds (complimented with a very reasonable, somewhat surprisingly low price tag attached)...


All of these items cost less than my age, so I was a happy camper to get 10 items for that price!!! The last outfit was in honor of my first (and currently ONLY subscribed follower of this blog: my mom and monkey's grandma: Grandma Wipp). Thank you for your interest in the website and in honor of you, one of monkey's first outfits will be "Grandma's Lovebug" with cute little flared flower leggings. 

The other outfits seemed so cute AND I think they will be a perfect ensemble wardrobe for when we take our first family vacation to Hawaii at then end of February (a Christmas gift from Grandma and Grandpa Wipp). You, little girl, are totally going to be tropical and fit in with the locals! We can't wait!

After a successful trip of shopping, I grabbed our mail and headed home for the day. I was surprised, curious, and slightly worried that your father had received mail from the FBI today. I called him, and he asked me to open it up and read what it said over the phone while he was at work. As it turns out, he had applied for a Special Agent position about a month ago and this was follow-up correspondence about the next step in the application process: a 5 hour written exam AND also a physical exam to qualify for phase two. After looking at the position a little again (and a little more closely this time around) and realizing that there were no actual positions open in Sacramento, let alone Northern California, we both agreed not to proceed with the next step. It was kinda cool getting a letter from the FBI, though!

After having something really solid poking at my left abdomen ALL day (not moving, just pretty much staying put) I am rethinking yesterday's theory of being elbowed by you to get my attention. My current theory is that it is actually one of your feet and you're stretched out today and your foot is simply resting along the side of my body. Luckily, I don't have a footprint bulge on my left side, but I had Tony feel it and he smiled, also agreeing that he thinks it's one of your limbs pushing against my belly. If only we could have an at-home ultrasound machine to see what you are up to all the time...

Lesson #6 "Roll with the punches." (Or in this case, kick...or at least a push, if nothing else.) Not only does that apply to my repeat offense wardrobe issues today, but also your addition you added to my belly's profile today. There's always going to be something new that comes up that you couldn't possibly have planned for and I think it says a lot about one's character and adaptability to be able to move on or accept the unplanned things in day-to-day living! But think what I could've missed out on had I given up at the first wardrobe problem. It pays to "roll with the punches!"

Good night my little ray of sunshine! Thank you for listening yesterday when I requested you be more forceful when trying to get my attention! I know you were trying all day with your foot! Well done! Mama's proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment