To Our Precious, Little Baby Girl...

The hope for this blog is that we get to share with our daughter-to-be, family, and friends what is going on in our lives as we start getting prepared for her BIG DAY and arrival outside of the belly! It'll be a no-holds-barred attempt at our new experiences, challenges, and day-to-day life while our little "bun in the oven" continues to bake. At some point, we hope this will be a loving story for you, little girl, to look back on and hopefully will also be entertaining and educational to read! We love you, little monkey, and are so blessed to have you growing stronger and stronger every day! Love, Mom and Dad

Friday, August 13, 2010

"In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words; and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet."

~Winston Churchill~

Today is a new day! Today we found out that we are having a little girl. To all of those who know me, you can attest to the fact that since the day we conceived, I "knew" we were having a boy. I went so far as to convince my husband of that fact and even decided I didn't need to play the "girl name game" because I was convinced that it was an unnecessary battle when I knew that a boy's name is what we really needed.

Let me just say that I have NEVER been so happy to be wrong! As much as I encouraged the ultrasound technician to spend extra time today (an hour) exploring for any signs of hidden "boy parts," the gleaming tear that rolled down my cheek as we saw our little girl all cuddled in my belly will be an image I cherish for the rest of my life. Our little "monkey" was so content during the whole process. Aside from the ADORABLE suckling motions of her mouth and the absolutely awe-inspiring flicker of her heartbeat, our little girl was so comfortable and cozy snuggling. Nothing will ever change the moment of happiness we felt when we changed our generic monkey references to "her/she-isms" during that one hour appointment. I cannot hide that we had been planning on a boy monkey, but a happy and healthy little girl will most definitely put smiles on our faces and love in our hearts! We are so blessed and words cannot express the love you instantly feel for the little miracle growing inside of you!

Lesson #1 little girl, "The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us!"-Montagu

How true that is! You have truly captured our hearts! Watching you was so exciting! We got to see your little hands, so gentle and safe next to your cheeks. We saw your perfect little arms and legs, the swell of your belly and cute little cheeky buns! Your heart was a healthy 153bpm and the technician even zoomed in so we could see all of the chambers of your heart, strongly pumping away. We checked out your kidneys, liver, stomach, and spine. According to your size, we were quite surprised to find out you are probably a week older than we were led to believe. It turns out that instead of a January 5, 2011 due date, our technician is actually thinking you might possibly be a New Year's Eve baby of 2010...now that we have seen you, I don't think we can wait until next year to meet you! :)

Although we tried a lot of tricks to try to get you to uncross your legs and ankles, you were perfectly content to rest in Mom's belly. We tried tipping Mom back a little, moving to different sides, and even jiggling you, but just as your father, you are a very mellow baby, and that's nothing to shake a finger at. I'll take it as long as you're happy!

Everyone is excited for the news and we are happy to report that we've got some business to do on our end to make up for my mistake of ever thinking you were anything but who you are...there are a few exchanges to be made in the clothing department and then there is the business of finding you a name. We currently like the name Mackenzie and I am thinking of you as Peyton Mackenzie...if I have learned nothing else, though, I know that things can always change. I am open to all of the changes, opportunities, challenges, and love you will bring us and am so excited to see you, my darling girl!

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but even though I nodded along with the technician when she pointed out your toes, I really could not quite make out what she was showing us...but at least I didn't look as confused as your dad... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment